Teen’s (12yrs +) and Adult’s Karate Program in Manhattan
Mokuso (Meditation) Each class begins and ends with meditation in seiza (formal sitting position) to allow students the opportunity to practice being still and present in mind and body and prepare themselves for training and whatever comes after class.
Kihon (Basics) from stationary stances students practice punches, blocks and kicks.
Pad work: Practice drills with focus mitts and body shields to develop speed and power in kicks and punches.
Kata (Form Training) Movement sequences that develop overall strength, coordination, flexibility, agility and fundamental fighting skills. Over time kata practice becomes more sophisticated and simple choreography becomes more complex to include sophisticated breathing techniques and timings.
Kihon Kumite: Basic sparring techniques and exercises practiced with a partner.
Kumite: (Controlled Sparring) – At the advanced level students engage in controlled “free” sparring to further develop their ability to stay present and respond effectively in a fight. This is done under full supervision of senior instructors who cultivate an environment of partnership among the students partner as they challenge and support each other in getting to the next level.
What you can expect training with us at Karate-Do Kenwakan:
• Professional and respectful personalized instruction from qualified and knowledgeable instructors.
• A substantial increase in your fitness level and coordination.
• An increase in self-confidence and peace of mind.
• A higher level of focus and self-awareness.
• A structure that works with you and challenges you to develop yourself physically and mentally.
• A community that supports your accomplishments and appreciates your commitment to developing yourself.
We are conveniently located near Union Square and all major subway lines.